According to Emilie Buchwald, “Children are made readers on the laps of their parents”. While some children love reading, it might not be interesting to some other children. These set of children, however, can also love reading with the right motivation. Research confirms that with the right motivation children can become skilful and successful readers.
The following are ways by which you can motivate and make your children enjoy reading.
- Create a regular read-aloud time with your children: Children love to be heard, therefore, reading books aloud is a good opportunity to get your children talking. You can try an audiobook for a reluctant reader to also participate.
- Allow your children to choose the books that they want to read: Children who choose what they read are always more engaged and are more likely to retain the information in the books.
- Read Stories Often: Children love stories and this will also go a long way by exposing them to literature. This is a great way to make reading become part of their daily life.
- Choose Age-Appropriate Books: Children will relate better with books appropriate for their age, rather than books they find hard to understand.
- Make use of gadgets and creative apps: There are many fun and creative mobile applications that can help your children love reading. Do your research and get safe and age-appropriate applications. You will be able to choose what your children can access, as well as the amount of time they can spend on it.
- Ask questions and give rewards: To keep your children interested in the books, you should ask them questions frequently; questions relating to the description of characters in the book.
- Make use of bedtime stories: Bedtime is one of the best time to get cozy with your children. They will love this, you should give it a try.
Reading is an essential tool for a child’s development that should be focused on as a parent or a guardian.
At Meadow Hall, we raise excellent, Godly and well-rounded children who will attain their full potential and use their skills and knowledge to affect their nation positively as change agents, solution providers and transformational leaders.
Source Credit: lifehack.org, pearson.com